Tuesday 16 December 2014

wandering + wondering




last Tuesday i packed 'back country' into the back of the ute [that's a pick-up if you're American] and headed out via the World's End Highway, the Goyder Highway and then the Barrier Highway up to Broken Hill and across New South Wales to deliver and install the work at the Tamworth Regional Gallery. [that's a little over 3000km there and back again]

and then yesterday i got up before sunrise, climbed into the [now much emptier] ute and pointed it in a westerly direction. Augustus [that's the ute's name] could smell his home paddock and was eager to go. 
me too.

i was also eager to see the Geminid meteor shower that's lighting up the night skies at present, so as the sun got lower i began to look for a suitable campsite. it's been years since i last slept under the sky in the outback. when the children were small we simply camped in a paddock at home and in recent years much of my travel has been to destinations overseas where camping isn't a practical response to the challenge of finding a bed [and where there are ticks, which give me the heebie jeebies]

about 120km east of Broken Hill i found a small red dirt road labelled Wirreanda. it looked suitably infrequently used so i turned up it and drove until i could see just the lights of the trucks on the highway but not hear them [thinking that i wanted to be within walking distance in case Augustus didn't want to start in the morning]. i also took a screen shot of the compass on my iPhone and messaged it to the folks back home so that they would have the coordinates in case that was the last time they heard from me and had to search for a body. 
then i unrolled my swag in the tray of the ute [there's just enough room for me to sleep diagonally] and hung a mosquito net over the top. perfect.

 

in the past i have always had a dog along when sleeping out but the pawprints left by Kip when she passed on July 19th, 2010 still haven't been filled so the precaution above [given the lack of canine company] was a simply sensible thing to do. you never know.

it turned out to be a splendid night, initially enlivened by lightning displays around the horizon and then beautifully clear with a myriad shooting stars, including one that seemed almost a Min Min light, bright green and travelling horizontally about 10 degrees above the northern horizon.

and then a couple of hours before dawn the moon rose in the east, cunningly disguised as a big slice of candied orange. at one point a tiny passing bat grazed my cheek with its wing as it flipped by, casually disposing of a mosquito

i had brought a book to read and also a set of solar powered twinkle lights [they'd been charging up on the dash all day] to read by but i never so much as turned a page and after testing the lights, turned them off as well. 

 

it was such a luxury to have the time to watch the sun go down, see the stars appear and truly appreciate the slow transition from day into night, listening to the birds organising themselves for sleep, the brief concerto of singing insects and then the rich velvety silence of a desert night, so quiet that it seemed i could hear the passing stars
and
i'm pretty sure the shades of the seven lovely Dogs who have blessed my life were there as well 



in the morning, after a bit of yoga [that 33 year old swag doubles nicely as a yoga mat] i packed up and discovered i had not been alone after all


there were also "tail-drag" marks from a kangaroo who had visited in the night, maybe to ask me to stop snoring. i hadn't heard it at all.
 i headed off again, stopping for a musical interlude under a bridge just outside Broken Hill while it was still cool and before the flies got busy. i like the acoustics that big bridges offer.

i found that others had been there before me


oh yeah? well i had sax under the bridge. 
far less messy and i'm guessing it probably sounded better too.

 

26 comments:

  1. I love this post of your's India as well as your wandering spirit. Ticks give me the heebie jeebies too, but that spider would have terrified me. Many thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the spider runs away and the ticks run towards. i don't mind if she comes along for the ride...

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovly, lovely post India ,you are a remarkable person !!!! the nature pictures reminds me on a person in AUS who lives for save the kangaroo, shown on television

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story! I felt as if I might be there. I also have an old 'ute' I camp in but it has a shell which comes in handy as it rains so much where I am (Oregon USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm. i can imagine you'd need it. but it must be pretty fabulous, camping out your way. i haven't camped in the North American woods since 1976

      Delete
  5. holy sax batman! that's a heck of a tale xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahah what a great read :) Slow Living at its very best! (You can keep Ipsy though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah but she probably kept the flies off my supper!

      Delete
  7. the stars being so close you can feel their light and the colours of the outback are seared into my soul from the days of hitchhiking 'round Australia but that was 40 years ago... look forward to being a grey nomad in the not too faraway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fell into that tale like a fly into syrup
    ... and then I fell off my chair when I got to the end !

    Thanx for American translations but you forgot one: finally figured out what a "swag" was tho by seeing yer bedroll in back of "ute" ;>]]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thought of you falling like a fly into syrup has me cackling still...hope there were no bruises from the chairfall.

      Delete
  9. Great post, was cloudy here but did spot a few shooting stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great combination (referring to post title)

    i love camping, life doesn't get much better than sleeping in the open air and brewing a cuppa outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had such a smile on my face reading this post. India, you never cease to amaze me.
    Blue mts Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post India. Definitely kindred spirits.
    Meagan - Badlydrawngirl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this has whet my appetite for our impending Christmas holiday. It always feels so good to get out of the city for a while and truly see the stars. Sleeping outdoors always makes me feel alive, even on a verandah. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to sleep in their own swag, then the adventures can really begin...

    ReplyDelete
  14. sigh. this was healing to read, my dear. many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healing and enviable... Sighing deep deep sighs here xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. what lovely getaway! bet that red dirt makes wonderful dye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. technically more of a stain than a dye [it doesn't bond permanently] but it's a wonderful colour and also splendid as paint :-)

      Delete
  17. We live in such a big beautiful country. I know well the beauty of the sky at night when there are no lights to interfere. I would have liked a dog with me, and I bet you missed yours. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. i'm looking forward to a time i can travel the desert more...and i'll know that time has come because a dog will find me and take me in charge!

      Delete